By William M. Johnston
Read or Download Celebrations: The Cult of Anniversaries in Europe and the United States Today PDF
Best stage & theatre books
Notwithstanding representations of alien languages at the early glossy level have often been learn as mocking, xenophobic, or no less than super apprehensive, listening heavily to those languages within the drama of Shakespeare and his contemporaries, Marianne Montgomery discerns a extra advanced fact. She argues as an alternative that the drama of the early smooth interval holds up linguistic style as a resource of power and provides playgoers a worldly engagement with the overseas that, whereas nonetheless occasionally apprehensive, complicates effortless nationwide differences.
The fifteen unique essays in Staging Philosophy make worthwhile connections among the self-discipline of philosophy and the fields of theater and function and use those insights to increase new theories approximately theater. all the contributors—leading students within the fields of functionality and philosophy—breaks new flooring, provides new arguments, and gives new theories that might pave the best way for destiny scholarship.
The Scene of Foreplay: Theater, hard work, and rest in Sixties long island indicates "foreplay" as a theoretical framework for realizing a specific mode of functionality construction. That mode exists outdoors of predetermined constructions of popularity by way of professionalism, creative success, and a common sense of eventfulness.
Due to the fact its inception as an institutionalized self-discipline within the usa through the Nineteen Eighties, functionality stories has involved in the interdisciplinary research of a large spectrum of cultural behaviours together with theatre, dance, folklore, renowned entertainments, functionality artwork, protests, cultural rituals, and the functionality of self in daily life.
- A Critical Companion to the American Stage Musical (Critical Companions)
- Mei Lanfang and the Twentieth-Century International Stage: Chinese Theatre Placed and Displaced (Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History)
- Rabelais's Radical Farce: Late Medieval Comic Theater and Its Function in Rabelais
- Performing Race and Erasure: Cuba, Haiti, and US Culture, 1898–1940 (Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History)
- Performing China on the London Stage: Chinese Opera and Global Power, 1759–2008
- For the Gay Stage: A Guide to 456 Plays, Aristophanes to Peter Gill
Extra resources for Celebrations: The Cult of Anniversaries in Europe and the United States Today